Saturday, June 5, 2010

Here we go...

I've been predicting the Oscars since 1992, the year Unforgiven won. I was a complete amateur then, so I went for Scent of a Woman for Best Picture, since it won the Golden Globe. But still did pretty well overall (13 out of 19 main categories).

Then came internet, and websites such as oscarguy.com and oscarwatch.com (now known as AwardsDaily). I became a member of the latter's forums in early 2002. Right after I was mocked at oscarguy's forums for predicting The Pianist to win Best Picture, Director, Actor and Adapted Screenplay at the end of that year. It was long before Cannes, and people were seeing Peter O'Toole as a lock to win Best Actor then, for a movie called The Final Curtain. Yeah, right...

I enjoy awards predicting. Not that I take them all too seriously. I mostly disagree with the Academy's choices. But predicting is just a game, and it's a lot of fun.

I was one of the first few people on the internet to call Marion Cotillard a lock for a win with La Vie En Rose (also the makeup award for the film), back in April 2007, when no one thought it was possible. Lately, I also called the Foreign Language wins of Departures and The Secret in Their Eyes right. I mean, it wasn't just Pete Hammond. There were quite a lot of us.

Anyway, let's start...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers